Windows/Linux: Install GemFire XD from a ZIP File
This procedure describes how to install the GemFire XD software on a single computer or VM, for either a peer client or client/server deployments. Repeat the procedure to install GemFire XD on each physical or virtual machine where you want to run a GemFire XD member.
- Confirm that your system meets the hardware and software requirements described in Supported Configurations and System Requirements.
- From the Pivotal GemFire XD download page, select Pivotal GemFire XD. From the GemFire XD download page, download the Pivotal_GemFireXD_XXX_bNNNNN_platform.zip file where XXX corresponds to the product version, NNNNN corresponds to the product build number, and platform refers to the operating system (Linux or Windows).
- Change to the directory where you
downloaded the GemFire XD software, and unzip the ZIP file:
- Windows: Open the .zip file, and extract the product files to the desired installation location on your machine.
UNIX and Linux (Bourne and Korn shells - sh,
ksh, bash). If you are using the command line, type the
$ unzip Pivotal_GemFireXD_XXX_bNNNNN_Linux.zip -d path_to_productwhere XXX corresponds to the product version of GemFire XD that you are installing, bNNNNN corresponds to the build number of the software, and path_to_product corresponds to the location where you want to install GemFire XD. For example:
$ unzip Pivotal_GemFireXD_140_b50226_Linux.zip -d /opt/pivotal/gemfirexdAlternatively, unzip the .zip file using another ZIP extraction tool suitable for your operating system.
- Add the GemFire XD
bin directory to your path. For example:
- GemFire XD requires libraries from Pivotal HD Enterprise in order to create
HDFS tables or use the MapReduce API. If you require HDFS integration
features, use the create_hdfsclient_dist.sh script to
create a ZIP file of the necessary libraries, which you can then add to the
local GemFire XD installation. Follow these steps to use the script:
- Copy the create_hdfsclient_dist.sh script to a machine that has a Pivotal HD installation. The script is installed with GemFire XD in the \bin subdirectory where you installed the product (for example, c:\Pivotal_GemFireXD_140_b50226_Windows\bin\create_hdfsclient_dist.sh.
- Execute the create_hdfsclient_dist.sh on the
The script packages the necessary library files into a ZIP file named gfxd_hdfsclient_dist.zip in the directory where you executed the script.
- Copy the gfxd_hdfsclient_dist.zip back to the machine where you installed GemFire XD.
- Unzip the gfxd_hdfsclient_dist.zip file's contents into the \ext-lib subdirectory of the GemFire XD installation (for example, c:\Pivotal_GemFireXD_140_b50226_Windows\ext-lib). GemFire XD will now automatically load the necessary Pivotal HD libraries when you start the local member.
- Repeat this procedure to install GemFire XD on each different computer where you want to run a GemFire XD member.
- Verify the local installation by executing the gfxd version command. You
should receive output showing that GemFire XD is installed, similar
$ gfxd version GemFireXD product directory: C:\Pivotal_GemFireXD_140_b50226_Windows Java version: 1.4.0 build 50226 12/09/2014 14:26:16 PST javac 1.7.0_72 Native version: gemfirexd native code unavailable Running on: hostname/ip-address, 4 cpu(s), amd64 Windows 7 6.1
Post-Install Configuration for ZIP File Installations
Although the GemFire XD software is installed on each machine, you must perform additional steps to configure and run GemFire XD member(s) on the machine:
- Follow the instructions in Steps to Plan and Configure a GemFire XD Deployment to configure one or more GemFire XD members on each machine, and to start those members in a new distributed system.
- If you configured Kerberos for security with Pivotal HD, follow the instructions in Configuration Requirements for Secure HDFS to ensure that your GemFire XD members can authenticate with Pivotal HD and persist table data in HDFS.
- If you intend to use HAWQ to to access data from HDFS-persistent GemFire XD tables, follow the instructions in Using HAWQ to Access HDFS Table Data to ensure that the Pivotal Extension Framework (PXF) includes the gemfirexd.jar library in its list of dependencies.
Obtaining Modified Open Source Code Libraries
Many open source licenses require that vendors who use or modify their libraries make that code available.
To obtain the open source code libraries modified in GemFire XD, visit the product download page, and select the Open Source tab. Download the Pivotal_GemFireXD_XXX_bNNNNN_OSS.zip file (where XXX corresponds to the product version of GemFire XD that you are installing and bNNNNN corresponds to the build number of the software.) Download and read the associated disclosure information (.txt) file from the same download page.
The .zip file contains both the original open source libraries and the modified source libraries.