Before You Upgrade
This section provides information you need to know before you begin to upgrade Pivotal GemFire XD.
- Read the GemFire XD Release Notes to familiarize yourself with all feature changes and upgrade considerations.
- Confirm that your system meets the requirements to run GemFire XD. See Supported Configurations and System Requirements.
- Pivotal GemFire XD 1.4.0 no longer supports Java SE 6. If your current GemFire XD 1.3.x
installation uses Java SE 6, you will need to update to Java SE 7 before you start
GemFire XD 1.4 members. To check your current Java version, type java
-version at a command-line prompt.
Keep in mind that applications that are ported from JDK 1.6 to JDK 1.7 may need to adjust their JVM configuration. Specifically, the default sizes for generations in the Java heap have changed significantly between JDK 1.6 and JDK 1.7. For more information, see Java Virtual Machine Enhancements in JDK 7 in the Oracle Java documentation.
- If your existing GemFire XD deployment uses DBSynchronizer, failover-related issues (such as duplicate rows in the RDBMS) can occur during an upgrade if clients are actively performing DML on synchronized tables. See How Failover and Upgrades Affect Synchronization in the DBSynchronizer documentation.
- Know how to configure environment variables for your system.
- GemFire XD 1.4 does not support upgrades from SQLFire. SQLFire customers must first upgrade to GemFire XD 1.3 before moving to GemFire XD 1.4. See Upgrading GemFire XD in the GemFire XD 1.3 documentation for details about upgrading from SQLFire to GemFire XD.
- GemFire XD 1.4 supports rolling upgrades from GemFire XD 1.3.x. See Performing a Rolling Upgrade.Note: After you begin the rolling upgrade process by starting a locator with the version 1.4 software, you can no longer start GemFire XD members that use the version 1.3 software. GemFire XD members at version 1.3 will fail to connect to the distributed system with the message:
Rejecting the attempt of a member using an older version of the product to join an upgraded distributed system. Please restart the process using the new version of the product