If your operating system is Mac OSX, you can install GemFire XD from a Homebrew
- From the OSX computer on which you will install
GemFire XD, open a terminal window.
- In the terminal window, enter this command to install Homebrew, if you have not already
$ ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/go/install)"
- After Homebrew is installed, execute this command to install Pivotal GemFire
$ brew tap pivotal/tap && brew install gemfirexd
command downloads and installs the software, and displays the basic usage
and documentation links for the product. The GemFire XD software is
installed into the
directory. A stub for the gfxd executable is created in
/usr/local/Cellar/gemfirexd/1.4.0/bin/gfxd and is
linked to /usr/local/bin/gfxd.
- If you have not already done so, download and
install a compatible JDK or JRE on the computer or VM.
- GemFire XD requires libraries from Pivotal HD Enterprise in order to create HDFS
tables or use the MapReduce API. If you installed GemFire XD on the same machine
as Pivotal HD, then GemFire XD will automatically locate the required libraries
in the default locations:
If you installed GemFire XD on a machine that does not have a Pivotal HD
installation, then you can use the
script to create a ZIP
file of the necessary libraries, which you can then add to the local GemFire
XD installation. Follow these steps to use the script:
- Copy the create_hdfsclient_dist.sh script to a
machine that has a Pivotal HD installation. The script is installed
with GemFire XD as
- Execute the create_hdfsclient_dist.sh on the
script packages the necessary library files into a ZIP file
named gfxd_hdfsclient_dist.zip in the
directory where you executed the script.
- Copy the gfxd_hdfsclient_dist.zip back to the machine where you
installed GemFire XD.
- Unzip the gfxd_hdfsclient_dist.zip file's contents into the
directory. GemFire XD will now automatically load the necessary
Pivotal HD libraries when you start the local member.
- Execute gfxd version at the command line to verify that the output shows
the version of Pivotal GemFire XD that you installed. For
GemFireXD product directory: /opt/Pivotal_GemFireXD_140_b50226_Linux
Java version: 1.4.0 build 50226 12/09/2014 14:26:16 PST javac 1.7.0_72
Native version: gemfirexd native code unavailable
Running on: ward-4.local/192.168.52.1, 8 cpu(s), x86_64 Mac OS X 10.10
Although the GemFire XD software is installed on each machine, you must perform
additional steps to configure and run GemFire XD member(s) on the machine:
- Follow the instructions in Steps to Plan and Configure a GemFire XD Deployment to configure one or more GemFire XD members on each machine, and to start
those members in a new distributed system.
- If you configured Kerberos for security with Pivotal HD, follow the instructions
in Configuration Requirements for Secure HDFS
to ensure that your GemFire XD members can authenticate with Pivotal HD and
persist table data in HDFS.
- If you intend to use HAWQ to to access data from HDFS-persistent GemFire XD
tables, follow the instructions in Using HAWQ to Access HDFS Table Data to ensure that the Pivotal Extension Framework (PXF) includes the
gemfirexd.jar library in its list of dependencies.
Uninstalling GemFire XD
To uninstall the Pivotal GemFire XD Homebrew package, enter the
# brew uninstall gemfirexd