This section provides information you need to know before you begin to upgrade Pivotal
Note: Thoroughly test your systems with the new 1.4 version before moving into production.
Downgrading from 1.4 to a previous version of GemFire XD is not supported
- Read the GemFire XD Release
Notes to familiarize yourself with all feature changes and upgrade
- Confirm that your system meets the requirements to
run GemFire XD. See Supported Configurations and System Requirements.
- Pivotal GemFire XD 1.4.0 no longer supports Java SE 6. If your current GemFire XD 1.3.x
installation uses Java SE 6, you will need to update to Java SE 7 before you start
GemFire XD 1.4 members. To check your current Java version, type java
-version at a command-line prompt.
Keep in mind that applications
that are ported from JDK 1.6 to JDK 1.7 may need to adjust their JVM
configuration. Specifically, the default sizes for generations in the Java heap
have changed significantly between JDK 1.6 and JDK 1.7. For more information,
see Java Virtual Machine Enhancements in JDK
7 in the Oracle Java documentation.
- If your existing GemFire XD deployment uses DBSynchronizer, failover-related issues (such as
duplicate rows in the RDBMS) can occur during an upgrade if clients are actively
performing DML on synchronized tables. See How Failover and Upgrades Affect Synchronization in the DBSynchronizer documentation.
- Know how to configure
environment variables for your system.
- GemFire XD 1.4 does not support upgrades from SQLFire. SQLFire customers must first upgrade
to GemFire XD 1.3 before moving to GemFire XD 1.4. See Upgrading GemFire XD in the GemFire XD 1.3
documentation for details about upgrading from SQLFire to GemFire XD.
- GemFire XD 1.4 supports rolling upgrades from GemFire XD 1.3.x. See Performing a Rolling Upgrade.
After you begin the rolling upgrade process by starting a locator with
the version 1.4 software, you can no longer start GemFire XD members that use
the version 1.3 software. GemFire XD members at version 1.3 will fail to connect
to the distributed system with the
Rejecting the attempt of a member using an older version of the product to join an upgraded distributed system.
Please restart the process using the new version of the product